Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I have a dream!

Today is the first day of the rest of my life. I have decided to come out of retirement and train for the 2008 Olympic Trials in the pole vault with the hopes of making the 2008 Olympic team! I know its going to be a challenge considering I work full time and have a wife and two kids, but nothing is going to stop me from "Livin' the Dream"!

I wouldn't be undertaking this if I didn't think I had a realistic change at making at least the "B" qualifying standard of 5.50m (18' 1/2"). On my last day of practice 9 years ago, I took a jump with a bungee at 5.50m and barely brushed it. I know my technique has improved since then, even though I only jump in the spring with the high school kids I coach. The real barrier for me will be my fitness level and speed, which I'm sure I can get back to an acceptable level.

171 days and counting!

No comments: